Hey guys! My latest #DIYmas recipe video is now available on youtube!! You can watch it here. A while back I saw these cute recipes on pinterest and wanted to try them out. Since the holidays are coming soon, I thought I share with you guys my take on these fun recipes. Of course mine didn’t turn out perfect as Simplee Thrifty but I’m pretty proud of my first try! What do you guys think?
Let’s get started, shall we?
Rice Krispie treats are one of my favorite desserts, and this #DIYmas recipe has me rocking around the Christmas tree in delight! They look impressive, but are actually very easy to make. In fact, you could even prepare the rice krispie trees cones up until step 4 below and leave undecorated for a fun activity later. Wouldn’t that be cute, an individual holiday tree for each person to decorate at a party?!
Rice Krispie Trees
Rice Krispie Trees
1. First, we start by making rice krispie treats. We heat butter over low heat, then add the marshmallows. Once all the marshmallows are completely melted, add in food coloring a few drops at a time until it reaches a deep green color. How much color you need depends on what color you want your trees- I found that the rice krispies absorbed some of the color so start with 6-10 drops. You’ll probably want to add a few extra drops beyond your desired final color so make those marshmallows deep green!
2. Now, we will slowly add the rice cereal one cup at a time, stirring the whole time. Once the rice cereal and marshmallows are completely mixed, take off the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
3. Using a little butter or oil on your hands so this doesn’t stick, take a handful of rice krispie treat and roll into a cone shape. Set on the wax paper and let them cool completely.
4. Now we can decorate! Use the icing to create decorations on the trees, attaching M&M’s to the icing. For the base, put a little icing on a Reese’s cup and put the tree on top, holding in place until it’s firm. If you have sprinkles or other small candy pieces, you can attach them to your tree with the icing as well!
As a final note, I used less marshmallows in the video than in my tweaked recipe above since I wanted them to hold their shape firmly. While they look great and tasted fine, if you normally like a softer rice krispie treat, you can add an extra 1/2 cup of marshmallows so they’re a bit softer while still holding that adorable tree shape! Mmmmm mmmm! Are you hungry yet? Don’t fill up on these yet, because there’s more deliciousness ahead…
Reindeer Pretzel Sandwiches
Who says kids get to have all the fun sandwiches this year? Here we have an a-DEER-able reindeer sandwich that totally rocks the sleigh! The best part? It’s easy and completely customizable, which means you can choose your favorite spreads. Are you a classic PB&J fan or does another nut butter bring you comfort and joy? What about Nutella? OR you could be really crazy and try cookie butter spread for a truly decadent treat! It’s all up to you for this one…
- Choice of bread
- Favorite spreads
- Red and Brown M&Ms
- Large Heart Cookie Cutter
1. Start by making your favorite sandwich like normal.
2. Use the heart cookie cutter to cut the sandwiches.
3. Slide the pretzels into the top of the sandwich to create ears, and using a dab of your spread, attach the red and brown M&Ms like eyes and a nose.
Where will you guys serve these cute holiday themed recipes? Tag and credit me with #DIYmas and #DIYwithAnn and show me how you decorate these cuties. I hope you brought your appetite this week, because I have more delicious holiday goodies to share with you! For pinable images and the full video tutorial, scroll on down!
Until then, Ciao!