I love the style and simplicity of a backless halter top. It is easy to wear and keeps you cool. Perfect for the beach or even a night out. Here is an easy way to make your very own. No sewing machine? No worries.
Fabric – 21 in x 21 in
suede cord or ribbons
trims – I use pom pom trims
beads, feathers, or any other embellishment if you desired
a hot iron
- Lay fabric out in a shape of a daimond.
- Fold fabric in half. The left corner should match up with the right corner.
- Use a tank top that is not too tight or too loose, fold in half lengthwise, and place on top of the folded fabric, with the folded edge meeting the folded edge of the fabric.
- Trace the neckline and armhole. Make sure to trace outward towards the corners of the folded fabric when you are tracing the armholes as the top will wrap around your back.
- Use pins to pin the folded fabric together to keep it in place.
- Use scissors to cut the outline. Cut half an inch out from the traced outline.
- Cut little triangles along the curve lines. This will help with the folding.
- Remove the pins and lay out fabric in a daimond shape, with neckline on top.
- Fold in the raw edges, about 1/2″, along the sides of the fabric and armholes, leave the neckline
- Press with a hot iron to give it a clean line and keep in place.
- Apply the fabric glue underneath the folded edges and press down to seal and secure, leaving the side corners where you will insert the back tie later
- For the neckline, fold down the edge about 1 to 1.5 inches, press with hot iron, place the cord or ribbon underneath, and seal with fabric glue
- If you will be adding trims, use fabric glue to secure in place along the bottom edges.
- For the back tie, cut out two 14 inches of cords/ribbons, insert in the folded corners, where you did not glue, then seal with fabric glue. If you have a sewing machine and would like the tie to be more secure, sew in place. You may also use a thread and needle if you do not have a sewing machine.
- If you will be using beads, feathers, or any other additions, string it through and tie a knot at the end to secure in place. I added feathers at the end and secure with the fabric glue to add a little fun and interest to the top.
Be as creative as you want to be. Add a little or add a lot. Wear it for day or wear it for night. The imagination is your to take it as far as you want it to be. Good luck!